Types and Symptoms of Spinal Tumor
A spinal tumor is generally referred to as an irregular growth of cells present within the spinal columns. These tumors can either be malignant or benign. These tumors can be categorised on two basis:
- Primary spinal tumors
- Secondary spinal tumors
1. By the area of the spine
These kinds of tumors take place in the spinal column like extending the bones, discs, nerves or other elements present within the spine. Primary spinal tumors are generally benign and strike within people of younger age.
One of the most common non-cancerous primary spinal tumors is Hemangiomas. However other too most common primary spinal tumors that are malignant in nature are Osteosarcomas and multiple myeloma.
These are metastatic tumors that originate from cancer that has occurred in some other body part but has extended into the spine.
These are the most common types of tumors in the spine that are cancerous and have a higher probability of spreading and growing within the body.
Lung, breast and prostate are some of the regions within the body from where these cancerous cells spread and lodge into the spine.
- Extradural Tumor
- Intradural-Extramedullary Tumor
- Nerve sheath tumors
- Intramedullary tumor
- Symptoms of Spinal Tumor
2. By their location
This tumor is located on the exteriors of the outermost protective layer of the spinal cord (dura) which is termed as an extradural tumor. However, these types of tumors are generally metastatic and can extend from cancer situated in other body parts.
Yet another type of spinal tumor based on its location, this tumor grows beneath the external layer (dura) that protects the spinal cord but is located on the exteriors of the spinal cord. Generally, these types of tumors are non-cancerous and slow in growth. They can result in symptoms such as pain and weakness. Further, these tumors are divided into two parts :
These tumors originate within the membranes that surround the spinal cord and are commonly found in women ranging from middle to older age.
These tumors crop up from the nerve roots that come from the spinal cord. These types of tumors might be present for longer within the patient's body before showcasing the neurological symptoms.
This tumor develops within the spinal cord and particularly originates from the cells that offer insulation and physical support for the nervous system. Generally, these tumors take place in the cervical spine or neck. They seem to be benign in nature but are complicated to remove through surgery. Astrocytomas and ependymomas are the most common kinds of intramedullary tumors.
Spinal cord tumors can result in various signs and symptoms particular when the tumor grows. The tumors might impact your spine or the nerve roots, bones or blood vessels of your spine. The signs and symptoms comprise of :
- Because of the growth of the tumor there is a pain at the site of the tumor
- Pain in the back often extending to other body parts
- Becoming less sensitive towards pain, cold and heat
- Improper functioning of the bladder or loss of bowel
- Difficulty in walking and at times leading to falls.
- Pain the back that worsens during the night
- Loss of sensation or weakening of muscles specifically in your legs and arms
- The weakening of muscles which can be either mild or severe, in different body parts
Pain in the back is commonly considered to be an initial presentation of a spinal tumor. This pain might also radiate beyond your back further to the legs, arms, hips and feet which might also get worse with time.
When to Consult a Doctor
Generally, there are a number of reasons that lead to back pain and most common pains are not associated with the tumor.
But since the early diagnosis and treatment when it comes to spinal tumors one should consult the best neurosurgeon about the pain the back if :
- It is consistent and growing
- It’s not associated with any activity
- It gets worse during night
- You have a history in cancer and sense a new pain in the back
- You experience other symptoms of cancer like nausea vomiting or dizziness
Get the best spinal tumor treatment at TIBSS
With extensive knowledge and experience in spinal surgeries, our team of the best neurosurgeons and spine surgeons have delivered the highest successful treatments to our patients, making TIBSS the best spine surgery hospital in Chandigarh.,
Our doctors closely examine the case and accordingly tailors the treatment or therapy that includes the latest technologies and medications that have the least impact on your body.
As per the best spine surgeons practising at the hospital, a spinal tumor requires intricate and delicate surgery. Any patient visiting us is assured of the right and best spinal treatment because we know health comes first and your good health is our primary goal.
- Types and Symptoms of Spinal Tumor
- Understanding Pituitary Tumors and their Symptoms
- Neurosurgical Causes of Headache
- Intracranial Aneurysms and Treatment Options
- Awareness about Neurosurgery - General Neurosurgical Ailments and Symptoms
- Understanding Head Injury
- Degenerative Spinal Disorders
- Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment
- Childhood Brain Tumor - Types, Symptoms, and Causes
- Brain Tumor: Survival & Beyond
- Back Pain - Causes, Risks and Prevention
- Back Surgery: Myths & Facts